Goroka & Kalam Festivals
PNG CULTURAL FESTIVALS TOUR 2020
PNG cultural festivals tour, Papua New Guinea culture, Goroka Show, Mount Hagen Show tour
Day 1 (18.09.2020) Goroka
Welcome to Papua New Guinea. Arrive into Goroka, the heart of the Eastern Highlands. Upon arrival transfer to your accommodation. Check in and free time. (D)
Recommended domestic flight: TBA
Day 2 (19.09.2020) Goroka Show
After breakfast depart for the showgrounds where the Goroka Show will take place. The Goroka Show is an annual festival that has been taking place since the 50’s. This fantastic event presents the opportunity for visitors to witness different tribes from all over the country who gather to display their culture, song and dance in rich colourful costumes, headpieces and magnificently painted bodies.
Once the show winds down for the afternoon we visit Asaro Village. Witness the famous Asaro Mudmen present a cultural performance. The Asaro Mudmen are famous for wearing fierce looking masks, with their bodies covered in white mud which made them look like ghosts emerging from the morning mist, when attacking their rival tribes. After the sing sing visit the “Mens Haus” and take a stroll through the village, mingling with the locals. Return to your accommodation and free time. Packed lunch provided to take to the show. (B,L,D)
Day 3 (20.09.2020) Goroka Show
Enjoy the second day of the show today. Take in all the song and dance the local Highlanders have to offer. Early afternoon we transfer to Kennedi Village for an afternoon spent with the locals. Try your hand at archery, see a traditional sing-sing and help prepare a traditional lunch, called Mumu, where food is placed in the ground, covered by hot rocks and banana leaves. Return to your accommodation late afternoon. Free time. (B,L,D)
Day 4 (21.09.2020) Goroka – Mt Hagen
After breakfast we depart Goroka and travel by private vehicle to Mt Hagen. On the way pass through numerous villages and see people going about their daily life. The scenery is beautiful as we drive through mountainous country with valleys and gorges. Lookout stop at Daulo Pass at the altitude of 2474m. On arrival in Mt. Hagen stop at the local market, one of the largest markets in the country, where local people sell their produce. Very lively experience indeed and a great photo opportunity. Check in at your accommodation and free time. (B)
Day 5 (22.09.2020) Mt Hagen – Simbai
Early breakfast and transfer to the airport for your flight to Simbai. Simbai is very remote and accessible only by small plane. Due to remoteness there is a limited number of tourists visiting this area which makes this place and the experience very special. After an hour flight we land in the mountains of Simbai and are welcomed by enthusiastic crowds. A local guide will meet the arriving plane and accompany guests to the Kalam Guesthouse. Accommodation is basic in a traditional guesthouse made with bush material. Toilet and a bucket shower are outside in separate huts. Food is simple and traditional, but very tasty prepared by local women. After lunch guests will have the opportunity to walk through the village and witness the traditional lifestyle still practiced here. Dinner and early night. (B,L,D)
Day 6 (23.09.2020) Simbai/ Kalam Festival
The Kalam Festival takes place every year but, it’s only relatively recently that tourists have been allowed to participate and witness the ceremonies conducted during the two-day event. Ceremonies like initiation of young boys into manhood, bride’s price payment, dispute resolution are part of the annual gathering of neighbouring villages. Young men in their impressive green beetle headpieces present their traditional sing sing as part of the event. Guests are free to walk around villages, visit homes and participate in daily activities of the people, who still live the traditional lifestyle. The number of visitors are low which makes this unique experience intimate. (B,L,D)
Day 7 (24.09.2020) Simbai – Mt Hagen – Port Moresby
The Kalam Festival continues this morning. Enjoy the ongoing festivities, song and dance as the locals showcase their culture. After lunch we say goodbye to our new friends from Simbai. Return to Mt. Hagen by charter plane and connect to Port Moresby. Upon arrival transfer to our hotel and enjoy the rest of the afternoon at leisure. (B,L)
Recommended domestic flight: TBA
Day 8 (25.09.2020) Port Moresby
Check out by 10am. Today is the end of the tour. Transfer to the airport for your outbound flight from PNG. Optionally choose to travel to another region of Papua New Guinea. (B)
Price: AUD7690 per person
(Price based on min. 4/ max. 14 persons | Price subject to change)
Single supplement AUD1080
- Charter flight between Mt. Hagen – Simbai – Mt. Hagen
- Goroka, 2*
- Hagen 3*
- Simbai, traditional guesthouse
- Port Moresby, 3,5*
- Meals included in the program (B,L,D)
- Private transfers incl. fuel
- Village entry fees
- Goroka Show entry fee
- Kalam Festival package
- Activities mentioned in the program
- Local guides
- Tour Leader from No Limit Adventures
- No Limit Adventures coordination and assistance
Price does not include:
- International and domestic flights
- POM – GKA
- HGU – POM
- Travel insurance
- Expenses of personal nature
- Excess baggage
- Optional activities
- Accommodation is subject to change pending availability. No reservations are in place and rooms are not being held.
- The above itinerary takes you into some very remote and isolated regions of Papua New Guinea. Although all arrangements are made to ensure the safety and smooth running of the tour clients travel at their own risk and No Limit Adventures takes no responsibility for any losses, accidents, injury or any other personal misfortune, which may occur during the duration of the tour.
- No Limit Adventures takes no responsibility for any injuries, damages, disabilities or death.
- If applicable: Recommended dive level is OWD.
- The above itinerary is subject to change at any time, including during the duration of the tour. Possible causes for change are unpredictable forces such as weather, local issues such as land disputes, political unrest and the like. No Limit Adventures takes no responsibility for such changes, but will attempt – where possible – to offer an alternative route to make up for any losses.
- No Limit Adventures takes no responsibility in any delays, which may lead to missed flights. In any such case clients will be able to claim any losses through their personal travel insurance.
- If applicable: boats hired to travel on the Sepik River may not carry any safety equipment.
- Alcohol: bottles of strong alcohol such as vodka, whisky etc. are difficult to purchase. We recommend buying your own duty-free before entering PNG. Drinks can be bought at bars.
- Visas to Papua New Guinea are required and can be obtained at the airport on arrival in Port Moresby. Citizens of certain countries must get their visa prior to traveling to PNG. Each participant is responsible for checking his/her visa requirements and application.
- Comprehensive travel insurance is highly recommended including evacuation cover.
- It is recommended that international and domestic flights be booked as one ticket.
- Participants are advised to be in reasonable physical condition when traveling to Papua New Guinea.
- There is a certain level of patience required for PNG, as everything happens at a slow pace and is not always based on the time of day, the time on your ticket, or arranged meeting.
- Each participant will be obliged to sign a legal liability disclaimer prior to commencing the tour
By paying a deposit the participants confirm they understand the risks involved.
Payment terms and cancellation policy:
- 40% deposit required at the time of booking (if more than 31 days out from tour commencement)
- Full payment required no later than 42 days prior to tour commencement
- Cancellations made inside 30 days of tour commencement will incur a 100% cancellation fee
- Cancellations made 31 – 60 days of travel will incur a 50% cancellation fee
- Cancellations made 61 – 90 days of travel will incur a 20% cancellation fee
- No refunds in case of no shows
NO LIMIT ADVENTURES Pty. Ltd.
- Recognised Inbound Tour Operator for PNG and Wantok Specialist by the PNG Tourism Promotion Authority
- Official member of the Surfing Association of Papua New Guinea Inc.
- Official member of the PNG Dive Association
PNG cultural festivals tour
Clients traveling with No Limit Adventures are made aware of any risks related to participating in activities on tour and the availability of medical and evacuation services, especially when traveling in remote areas, however participate at their own risk. Although safety is No Limit Adventures’ primary priority no responsibility will be taken for any accident, injury, loss or misfortune while on any trip. As an Inbound Tour Operator No Limit Adventures will use the services of local tour, transport and accommodation operators/ providers. In cases where the contracted 3rd party fails to provide the service No Limit Adventures will do everything possible to organize an alternate to fill this part of the tour. Any losses in such cases can be claimed on personal travel insurance, but No Limit Adventures cannot be held accountable, responsible or liable for any associated losses. Payment for a trip means the client understands and accepts these conditions.