Explore the PNG Highlands, experience village life, meet the local people, visit the liveliest markets in PNG and so much more…
This tour will take you to the heart of the PNG Highlands. Goroka in the Eastern Highlands Province and Mt. Hagen in the Western Highlands Province represent rich and diverse cultures of these two regions. Raw and authentic, the people entice visitors into their world of ancestral customs and traditions, magnificent traditional attire, dance and drumming, village life and the vibrant town market places.
High mountains and deep valleys create a dramatic landscape, busy townships, villages and scenes of everyday life paint a picture of old tradition interwoven into the ever changing world.
PNG Highlands Adventure Tour offers a brief introduction into the unique and authentic character that The Land of the Unexpected represents.
PNG Highlands Adventure
- Price based on 2 persons traveling together
- Single supplement AUD$690
- Itinerary can be tailored to suit
Day 1 Port Moresby – Mount Hagen
Welcome to Papua New Guinea – The Land of the Unexpected. Arrive into Jackson’s International Airport and connect on your flight to Mount Hagen for the start of the PNG Highlands Adventure.
Your local guide will meet you upon arrival. Mt. Hagen is the second largest city in PNG and provides a cultural immersion into the lifestyle of the local Highlanders. Transfer to a beautiful lodge at the foot of Magic Mountain and Mount Hagen (3800m) – the 3rd highest peak of Papua New Guinea. Magic Mountain Nature Lodge consists of a row of stand-alone bungalows with ensuite bathrooms, and a common dining room, situated in a large garden of native plants especially coloured orchids, lichens, mosses and fungi that grow well at this high altitude. Heavy mist envelops the mountain at about 17:00 hours every day and the temperature drops rapidly, so it is a good idea to settle quickly into your bungalows on arrival. The Lodge is connected to the town electricity grid and there is a back-up generator. (D)
Note: the accommodation is located remotely. We recommend purchasing alcohol (spirits) duty free upon arrival. Beer is available in local shops in Mt. Hagen Town. Snacks, water and soft drinks can be purchased at the local supermarket in Mt. Hagen Town. Your guide will make sure you have opportunities to buy any necessary items.
Day 2 Mount Hagen
Enjoy breakfast sitting on a big terrace overlooking the valley below Mount Hagen, surrounded by high-altitude moss forest. After breakfast take a drive-around tour of Mt Hagen area stopping at places of interest including the main market – the biggest and liveliest market in PNG and an experience not to be forgotten. You will visit Payia Village, a typical Highlands “dispersed” village, where you will be welcomed with a traditional greeting sing-sing and a tour of the village before sitting down to a local style “mumu”. Meat and vegetables have been wrapped in leaves and cooked in a pit under hot stones and you will see the parcels of cooked food removed from the earth “oven” and opened before your eyes. After lunch the village people will take you for a walk through their gardens and show you how they cultivate the vegetables that they eat every day. Visit the Men’s House and the skull house where the bones of ancestors are kept. Meet the village chief and his three wives. If time allows visit the local school for a game of football, volleyball or rugby with the kids – a warm experience and possibly one of the highlights of your trip! Return to Magic Mountain Lodge, dinner and free time to rest. (B,L,D)
Day 3 Mount Hagen – Goroka
Depart Magic Mountain Lodge after breakfast, stopping at the local supermarket for snacks, water, soft drinks. Depart the capital of the Western Highlands Province for Goroka via Kundiawa, approx. a 4 hour drive depending on road conditions. Once in Kundiawa you will meet with your Goroka-based guide, who will continue the journey to Goroka with you. Admire the Highlands landscape along the way and stop at Daulo Pass (2400m) scenic point overlooking Goroka Town below. Overnight in budget accommodation. (B,D)
Day 4 Goroka
Spend the day visiting two local villages. Travel to Asaro to see a cultural performance by the famous Asaro Mudmen. The Asaro Mudmen are famous for wearing fierce looking masks, with their bodies covered in white mud which made them look like ghosts emerging from the morning mist, when attacking their rival tribes. After a village walk through Asaro we continue to another local village where you will spend the afternoon meeting the local people, experiencing some cultural performances and taking in traditional village life. Try your hand at archery, see a traditional sing-sing and help prepare a traditional lunch, called Mumu, where food is placed in the ground, covered by hot rocks and banana leaves. Return to your accommodation late afternoon. (B,L,D)
Day 5 Goroka – Port Moresby
Say goodbye to the Highlands today as you travel back to Port Moresby. The PNG Highlands Adventure Tour ends in Port Moresby. (B)
SAFE ONWARDS TRAVEL!
- Magic Mountain Lodge, Standard Room, 2 nights total
- Kefamo Catholic Mission, standard room, 2 nights total
- Meals as per program (B,L,D)
- Activities and inclusions as per itinerary
- Local guides
- Transport and transfers with local PMV (Public Motorised Vehicles)
- No Limit Adventures arrangement and coordination
- International and domestic flights
- Pre/ post tour accommodation (if required)
- Optional activities, not stipulated in the program
- Meals and beverages not included in the program
- Costs of personal nature
- Personal Travel insurance
- Accommodation is subject to change pending availability. No reservations have been made and rooms are not being held.
- The above itinerary takes you into some very remote and isolated regions of Papua New Guinea. Although all arrangements are made to ensure the safety and smooth running of the tour clients travel at their own risk. No Limit Adventures takes no responsibility for any losses, accidents, injury or any other personal misfortune, which may occur during the duration of the tour.
- The above itinerary is subject to change at any time, including during the duration of the tour. Possible causes for change are unpredictable forces such as weather, local issues such as land disputes, political unrest and the like. No Limit Adventures takes no responsibility for such changes, but will attempt – where possible – to offer an alternative route to make up for any losses.
- No Limit Adventures takes no responsibility in any delays that may lead to missed flights. In any such case the clients will be able to claim any losses through their personal travel insurance.
- Alcohol: bottles of strong alcohol such as vodka, whisky etc. are difficult to purchase. We recommend buying your own duty-free. Beers, wine and spirits are available at most bars.
- Visas to Papua New Guinea are required and, in some cases – depending on nationality, can be obtained upon arrival (VOA). Each participant is responsible for checking his/her visa requirements and application.
- Comprehensive travel insurance is highly recommended including evacuation cover.
- Participants are advised to be in reasonable physical condition when traveling to Papua New Guinea.
- There is a certain level of patience required for PNG, as everything happens at a slow pace and is not always based on the time of day, the time on your ticket, or arranged meeting.
- Each participant will be obliged to sign a legal liability disclaimer prior to commencing the tour
Payment terms and cancellation policy:
- 30% deposit required at the time of booking (if more than 31 days out from tour commencement)
- Full payment required no later than 42 days prior to tour commencement
- Cancellations made inside 30 days of tour commencement will incur a 100% cancellation fee
- Cancellations made 31 – 60 days of travel will incur a 50% cancellation fee
- Cancellations made 61 – 90 days of