Turtle Conservation Papua New Guinea
Travel to Papua New Guinea, one of the last adventure frontiers in the world. Experience the culture of PNG staying at magical Lissenung Island, where you will take part in marine and turtle conservation. Make a difference and help local tribes and the dedicated team from the Lissenung Island Turtle Conservation protect turtle species for future generations.
The local landowners and the Lissenung Island Turtle Conservation team have passionately dedicated their time, energy and funds to ensure turtle nests in the area are protected from poachers and other natural causes that threaten the successful hatching of nests. Their efforts see a turtle hatching success rate of over 95% each year, with valuable data collected and sent to Conservation organisations in Australia and beyond.
As a conservation volunteer, your tasks will consist of assisting the conservation team in the daily scanning for new nests, relocation,data collection as well as hatchlings. In addition to helping in the protection of turtles, you will undertake Coral Watch surveys while snorkeling daily at locations to be determined. Coral Watch surveys monitor the state of coral and provide data to Coral Watch, a non-profit organization established at Brisbane University. Coral Watch provides hands-on monitoring and education tools to increase awareness of reef threats and encourages behaviour to change towards a sustainable, low-carbon future.
While staying at Lissenung, you will have access to some of the best surfing, snorkeling and scuba diving PNG has to offer. Relax in your free time and surf uncrowded spots, snorkel or dive the pristine reefs of the Bismark Sea.
It is feared certain species of turtle will be extinct by 2030. Your support of this project will be a small step to saving turtles, allowing future generations to enjoy the presence of this beautiful species as well as providing an insight into the health of the reef around the small islands of Kavieng.
Join our turtle conservation program and help save the turtles.
Day 1 Port Moresby - Kavieng
Welcome to Papua New Guinea - the Land of the Unexpected. Arrive into Port Moresby, the capital of PNG. Catch your connecting flight to tropical Kavieng in the New Ireland Province. Upon arrival you will be met by the Lissenung Island Turtle Conservation staff and transferred to the island. Transfer time is approx. 30 minutes. Check in and relax - You are in paradise! (D)
Day 2 - 7 Lissenung Island Turtle Conservation
Immerse yourself into island life. Over the next 7 days you will be teaming up with the turtle conservation staff. Daily activities will include monitoring local islands for new turtle nests, relocating nests to Lissenung Island if found, tagging turtles (if required at the time), beach clean ups, general maintenance on the island as well as Coral Watch surveys undertaken at different parts of the reef around the island. Moreover, you will also help out with the recording of data i.e. all eggs/ hatchlings are counted, a selected number of eggs/ hatchlings of each nest are weighed and measured. The data gives an average indication of the whole nest. If a nest hatches assist with the release of the turtles. During the week you will also visit one of the villages and talk about your own culture, your traditions as well as discuss the importance of recycling and correct rubbish disposal. Spending time with the friendly locals is an amazing cultural experience and could turn out to be one of the highlights of your stay. (B,L,D)
Day 8 Kavieng - Port Moresby
Today is a very early start. You are transferred to kavieng Airport in time for your morning flight to Port Moresby and your connecting flight out of Papua New Guinea. End of program. (B)
- Daily scanning of the local area for new turtle nests. Area includes local islands as well as Lissenung.
- Relocation of nest(s) if found - under strict supervision, full instructions provided
- Assistance in record and data collection/ keeping
- Daily hands on assistance with maintenance on the island
- Assistance in tagging turtles (under strict supervision)
- Daily Coral Watch surveys around the house reef monitoring coral health while snorkeling
- Beach clean-ups at local islands Ral and Edmago
- Cultural exchange: meet with local kids and talk about your home country, traditions and ways you and your community dispose of your rubbish eg. Recycling.
Program dates: on request between November and February,pending availability.
- 7 nights accommodation in twin-share budget bungalows (share facilities)
- 3 meals/ day while at the resort
- Drinking water, tea & coffee
- Airport transfers
- Boat transfers where related to conservation & volunteering tasks
- Snorkeling equipment
- Volunteer fees
- Turtle t-shirt and certificate of appreciation
- Program coordination and assistance by No Limit Adventures
- International and domestic flights (we can arrange these for you)
- Scuba diving
- Surfing transfers or board hire
- Alcohol and other beverages
- Personal travel insurance
- Personal expenses
AUD2390 per person (based on twin-share bungalows)
Single supplement AUD250
(Prices valid until 31 December 2020)
Visa: a visa to PNG is obligatory and can be arranged upon arrival into PNG for Australian Citizens. Non-Australian Citizens may be able to obtain a visa on arrival. Please check prior to travel at: http://www.papuanewguinea.travel/passportvisainfo
- This offer is valid until the end of 2020 pending availability of spaces
- Packages can be tailored according to individual requirements
- GST 10% not applicable where the package is paid for outside of PNG
- Flight connections to/ from Kavieng are available via Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns for anyone traveling from Australia. There are regular connections to PNG with Air Niugini from major international airports - Singapore, Hong Kong, Manila and Tokyo.
- Optional surfing - great waves, uncrowded spots. Surf season is from November to April
- Optional scuba diving. Amazing diving year-round. Recommended dive level is OWD.
- Max. 4 persons per placement. With 1 pax single supplement charge applies.
- There is no guarantee that any turtle nests will be found or that a nest with hatchlings will be ready during the stay. We will endeavour to make the project as interesting and educational as possible taking into account the conditions at the time.
Payment & Cancellation policy:
- 30% deposit required to secure place
- Full payment must be made no later than 42 days before program commencement
- No refunds within 42 days of program commencement
- Cancellations made within 42 – 90 days will incur a 30% cancellation fee of total price
- No shows will incur 100% cancellation fee
No Limit Adventures reserves the right to cancel any departure up to 30 days before the commencement date.
Deposits will be refunded in such an instance.
No Limit Adventures takes no responsibility for any travel arrangements made outside of the inclusions of the Turtle Conservation program.